Thursday, October 2, 2014

How Instagram Can Make You a Happier Person

Instagram has helped me achieve more happiness and joy on a daily basis. It all started rather subconsciously but when I reflected upon the process, it came upon me that instagram has become meaningful in my daily life.

This comes with a caveat, though. Because a large majority of us engage in social media platforms with a need for exhibitionism- even if there's the slightest bit. We post with the thought and motivation of wanting to show others what we have done/are going through. So mine began with that;  wanting to show people what I'm going through. Specifically, I wanted to show people that I was happy (I find it hard to show unhappiness on social media platforms because.... It's just awkward for me)

And so everyday, in my mundane everyday life of working office hours, I search for reasons to be happy, search for pictorial evidences to show that I am thankful and blessed for every single day spent. This kickstarted the whole process.

I would cycle home from work and look at the magnificent sunset (which stings my eyes but I still turn to look at it anyway), and think about how beautiful the world is. I would take photos with people I've gathered with, and consciously appreciate them for their company, and think about how great the conversation was. I think this is somehow related to my previous post about how I'm enjoying conversations once again. I would walk along the streets and see elderly couples hand-in-hand and awe at how great love and companionship is.

And that's how I've become more open to sharing, and more joyful about it. Because sharing experiences has now become a conscious and mindful search for happiness in my own life. So instagram has made me a happier person ^^

1 comment: